Bleach London DIY Dip Dye: Review

16:44

Bleach DIY Dip Dye

Bleach London DIY Dip Dye, £7 @ Boots
Bleach London White Toner, £7 @ Boots

When I heard Bleach were releasing a series of home dye kits I couldn't wait to try them out. The very nature of dip dyed hair is for it to look undone, so why fork out over £100 at a salon to get that dyed-at-home look?
I've previously used Loreal bleach kits to achieve this look at home with the help of YouTube tutorials and other blogs. But I thought, why not hear what the experts at Bleach have to say...?

When you open the kit you'll find:
  • 1 bottle of developing lotion
  • 2 x sachets of bleaching powder
  • 1 sachet of blending lotion
  • 1 conditioning repair mask
  • 1 tint brush
  • 1 mixing bowl
  • 1 pair of gloves
  • 1 instruction leaflet
Bleach DIY Dip Dye Opened

Preparation

To prepare the mixture you need to mix it all together in the mixing bowl. While it made me feel like a professional using a mixing bowl and tint brush to prepare the bleach, I found it quite hard to mix. After a few worrying moments and some vigorous mixing, the powder eventually disappeared into the lotion to create a smooth mixture, but having used other dyes, I missed the traditional shake bottle!

Application

The instructions told me to apply the bleach in inch-wide sections of hair using the tint brush. While dying the first strand I lost my patience and reverted to my usual fail safe dip dye method: dunk the bleach on the ends and using gloved hands, move the dye up on separate strands to create an even fade. There was also another unfamiliar process to tackle: the blending lotion which I had to massage onto the fade area. I don't know what it was supposed to do or how, but it smelled nice, which was a welcome respite from the overwhelming smell of bleach!

Bleach DIY Dip Dye results

Result

The result was a well-mixed dip dye with a lovely golden colour. I had bought the Bleach White Toner to combat any brassiness but I'm really happy with the tone so I'll save it for a few weeks until the freshly dyed blonde starts to fade! I have very long hair so I only used the kit on the mid-length and upper sections on my hair - but it blended in nicely with my already dyed lower lengths of hair. I'd definitely recommend getting more than one pack if you need to dye long hair from scratch.

Bleach Super Cool Colours
Bleach London Blullini Super Cool Colour, £5 @ Boots
Bleach London Parma Violets Super Cool Colour, £5 @ Boots

What's next?

Next I've got the Bleach Blullini and Parma Violets Super Cool Colours to try. I'm planning a blue into lilac fade on the ends of my dip dye. I might leave it a while before I take the plunge though!

Have you tried any of the new Bleach range? How did you get on? Let me know in the comments below!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Been searching for a decent review of the dip dye bleach kit all morning thankyou! your hair looks laaaaavley ;) x

    ReplyDelete